Friday, November 23, 2012

Sustainable driving: 3 options from the car show

Ford Fusion hybrid with DB5 overtones.
Options for the green-minded once were limited to small under-powered cars.

While that's still true to some degree, consumers now have an interesting dilemma. Choose the hybrid, clean diesel, electric or really small?

Depends. Even the bigger vehicles now support increasingly efficient technologies such that the differences are less than the similarities. This is true for design and efficiency.

At the Central California Motor Trend Auto Show in downtown Fresno, Calif. in November 2012, nearly all manufacturers showed their latest. Gleaming and with doors open to the general public, these vehicles offered the best opportunity for Joe Motorist to ask the question: "What if this was mine?"

I asked it while sitting in a number of cars. One was the Dodge Challenger, a throwback muscle car that delivers 375 horsepower with the 5.7 liter Hemi. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's www.fueleconomy.gov site rates the Challenger SRT8 at a combined 17 city/highway miles per gallon. Not bad compared to my old Jeep Grand Wagoneer (10-12 mpg) but no good if you want to stay away from the corner Shell station.

I avoided reviewing any of the Toyota Prius family on purpose. If you like them, buy them. I can't stand the user unfriendly interface. Makes me want to take a sledgehammer to the dash. The design also  leaves me wanting something else.

Ford Fusion

This year Ford designers took a nod from James Bond 007 and crafted their Fusion with a grill reminiscent of an Austin Martin DB5. My friend calls the Fusion a shameless ripoff using less-kind language, but I like it. Muy macho.

The DB5 originally appeared in "Goldfinger" (1964) but makes a reappearance and heart-breaking exit in the latest Bond film "Skyfall." The baddy, played with strangely crazy vulnerability by Javier Bardem, unleashes on the car (but probably a cheap facsimile) with a 50 caliber from a helicopter.


The Fusion Hybrid likely won't get that sort of explosive test anytime soon. But it does have chops in the efficiency department. The EPA gives the car an overall 47 mpg, just three shy of the standard Prius. And in my opinion, the package makes all the difference. Thumbs up for the Fusion.

Its manufacturer's suggested retail price is $27,200.

At the auto show, a Sikh fellow and I followed each other around sitting in various cars. He also gave it a thumbs up and did this after sitting in the Jaguar XF or XJ. "Better sticker price," he said.

Chevy Volt

Volt gets the best mileage.
The Chevy Volt has the ability to plug in and go exclusively on electricity. Ford's planning to debut a plug-in version of its Fusion, and Toyota's already got a plug-in Prius. The Volt offers the best of both worlds. Or so it would seem.

However, all-electric range is limited to 38 miles without engaging the engine. And it's also quite expensive. The MSRP is $39,145. Of course, and this is posted all over the manufacturer's website, there is a federal $7,500 rebate still in effect and available to buyers.

Design is appealing and it's quite comfortable. I got the impression the Volt would be very easy to get used to driving. Although I suspect I'd be one of the drivers who obsess over not letting the gas engine engage.

Honda Insight

It could be argued that Honda's entry into the high-mileage realm is really its highly efficient Civic. But this generation of the Insight is a pretty nice little car with a consumer friendly price of $18,500 MSRP. I'm still shocked by that revelation.

Honda's Insight rates best deal.
The EPA gives it a 42 mpg overall rating.

The model I looked at had an impressively small number of horses, but to me that's no big deal. Speed, while important when pulling onto a freeway, is relative. It just has to be peppy enough to keep up with traffic.

The looks aren't the greatest and lean a little toward the Prius doorstop design. But the style continues to improve. The interior while spare is comfortable. The biggest plus in my book is the lift back.

Mike's ratings

OK. My choice? I like all three. If I had the money, I'd run out and buy one. But I don't have the money or the pressing need for a new car, as my wife Peggy likes to point out. Still, I enjoy sitting in the driver's seat and thinking about it. I've been doing that since the old early 1950s Oldsmobile that my dad parked in front of our house for most of my childhood.

For flat-out best deal, I'd have to pick the Insight. I don't mind the car. It's efficient. It's practical. My wife swore she'd never be caught dead in one. But that's beside the point.

For best efficiency, I'd pic the Volt. I'd probably visit a gas station no more than once a month. I'd murder my gas bill. The EPA gives it a whopping 98 mpg rating. Still, it would take years to pay off the premium.

For overall cool and comfort, I'd have to pick the Ford. The decision would make my dad happy. He only purchased Fords and air-cooled VWs after Studebaker died.

For now, I've still got a couple of cars with a lot of miles left on them. So don't expect to see anything different in my driveway.


No comments:

Post a Comment